7.04.2010

Of Chances, Choices, and Conclusions

'Finally, they nailed it.' was what went through my mind half the time I was watching Twilight Saga's third installment: Eclipse. Movie critics who said this was the best of the three films under the huge franchise had it good. Yes, by far, Eclipse got the best out of its high budget and acclaimed director.


The Twilight Saga: Eclipse (Rotten Tomatoes)

But no, I would not want to brand this post as a review. Mainly because I'm no movie-technicalities savvy nor do I have the heart to take against the story itself what I find lacking in the backstage area. I would rather say I'm merely sharing my thoughts: free and flowing.

Albeit the many collective sighs, swooning, and squealing that dominated the cinema (me included, at least in the collective-sighs part) due to the abundance of human beauty (which I shall do my best to justify later), much can be deduced from the whole film itself. Personally, I caught the whole storyline as that of: chances, choices, and conclusions.

CHANCES

I think Eclipse, from the book itself to the movie, is all good at giving the other characters a chance to explain their existence and inclusion in the story. I appreciate the part of Rosalie and Jasper sharing with Bella their pasts. I enjoyed the Quileute's legends. They provided so much understanding that Bella's perspective couldn't possibly give.


Rosalie telling Bella her own story (Bella's Diary)


The then Jasper Whitlock (Fanpop)


Members of the Quileute Tribe (Rotten Tomatoes)

I also personally believe these stories about other characters has decreased the all-too-love-triangle point of the film (and book), of which I admit I am wholly cynical. Somehow, there is that feeling that the movie is not about falling head over heels to someone you cannot be with. Love is too strong an emotion to be contained in every shot, that I agree with.

CHOICES

The thought of choices being the film's central point during all the promotions is given justice, in my opinion. There is an abundance of choices, not only with Bella being in-between two loves of her life, or with her faced with being either human or an immortal.


Edward and Bella (Rotten Tomatoes)


Jacob and Bella (Twilightguide)

Choices are also shown to be encountered by other characters: Jane, on whether or not to report to Aro the occurrences at Seattle; the Cullens, on providing protection for Bree; Riley, on believing Edward's claim against Victoria. The film is set to be a sequence of events brought about by an array of choices for everybody.

CONCLUSIONS

So there was a good happy-ending-ish sense. Yes, that's one thing I've noticed and appreciated in this film. Rather unlikely, of Twilight's less-than-relieving prom scene and of New Moon's hanging proposal.


Bella and Edward, concluding scenes (Inside Bella's Closet)

I do consider the fact that the movie's part of a 4-part franchise. But honestly, people can do more with endings suggesting to them that there's another one coming up and letting them know that at least for what they've seen, the worst is gone. That, I feel, is what Eclipse has given. So, good going.

FROM THE MOVIE-GOERS P.O.V

Human beauty, that's what I've said earlier. There's plenty of this in the movie, well considering that vampires are supposed to be beautiful what with their sparkling and all.

(Or, almost, since dear Jamie Campbell Bower is all missing. *sigh*)


Ashley Greene, Nikki Reed, Elizabeth Reaser, Jackson Rathbone, and Peter Facinelli
The Cullen Coven (Rotten Tomatoes)


Nikki Reed and Kellan Lutz as Rosalie and Emmett (Twilightguide)

Dakota Fanning's Jane and Bryce Dallas Howard's Victoria are extremes in terms of villain appearances. Vampires they both are though, they seem to emanate totally different menacing stances. I just am not satisfied with Howard's less-than-scary avenging attitude.


Bryce Dallas Howard (top) & Dakota Fanning (bottom) as Victoria and Jane

Xavier Samuel's Riley, on the other hand, is just in for the role. And may I just say that starting the film with him might be the best of Director Slade's decisions? Yeah, I stand by that as in every Samuel scene I let out a  gushing sigh. 'Nuff said.


Xavier Samuel as Riley (Twilightguide)

As for the three leads: First of, Edward's new look didn't appear disturbing. Yeah, I've never been a part of Team Edward, character and looks on account. Sorry for that. But still, this time, he didn't look so frustratingly perfect. Now, his facial expressions exhibit the hesitations Edward in the book has.


Robert Pattinson as Edward Cullen (Rotten Tomatoes)

Kristen Stewart is, for me, the biggest improvement of and in the film. She's still not the Bella I've had in mind when reading the book. But now she gets her lines to feel sincere. I also appreciate her additional facial expressions, which at least gave a different aura to her don't-sacrifice-for-me attitude. And yeah, her new physical look's done its share.


Kristen Stewart as Bella Swan (Twilightguide)

Lastly. Lastly. Taylor Lautner as Jacob. Okay. I've squealed once. Just once. When he came out for his first scene. And that's him with a shirt on, mind you. Because Taylor. Is. Taylor. And. Jacob. Is. Jacob. Fine, maybe I'm partial. But there's no denying that despite Kristen's newly found openness where facial expressions are concerned, Taylor's has just capped things off.


Taylor Lautner as Jacob Black (Twilightguide)

And that's yet without his oh-so-smart lines: "Let's face it, I'm hotter than you" and "You know just how much I wish that's enough". That said, I'm pretty much sure whose ally I am. Yeah, fine. Team Jacob that is. (Oh cool, I'm taking sides now.)

Aside from the bounty of blessed beauty, a lot can be said about the film itself. Though as I've admitted to not knowing enough about cinematographies and stuff alike, I can only say three things:
  • The Eclipse DP did his job. All too well. The battle scene, even the chase scenes, and of course, the showcasing of the settings were all captured with so much skill.
  • Musical scoring is on the low. Despite my appreciating the idea that I at least got to hear most of the important lines without thinking about soundtrack-checking, I still consider some scenes' lack of sufficient score a bit different. Oddly quiet, that is.
  • David Slade rocked this one. That's about it.
So all in all, borrowing a healthy 150 bucks from my mom's wallet was worth it. In the anticipation and excitement, I can only say that Eclipse has not given me the same disappointing results as New Moon did. That's me only stating, 'kay?

Disclaimer: A bit late, I know. But lemme just say that as I'm writing this on a weekend following the film's release, I do get the feeling I'm not spoiling as much--as most have watched already. So feel free to, er, lash out if you haven't watched the movie yet and you feel as though I've said way too much. But I tell you: reading this in perfect understanding of your situation as a still-non-watcher has been your choice.

Toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment