11.24.2010

It's Nearing Christmas!

And it feels good to wake up to a cool Christmas air. Which I've had this morning. And which is in stark contrast from the almost-gray one yesterday that it has actually hit me. This is the air only Christmas can bring. This is how Christmas feels.

Needless to say, I'm quite happy. For one, November is about to end (we're down to its last six days). Another, when December starts, our family is looking forward to two birthdays (my mother's and brother's), roughly two weeks of school vacation (which, considering everyone either studies or works with schools, is very beneficial), and of course, two worldwide feasts (Christmas and New Year).

I would probably love the month more if I have income-generating activities, hence, money to spend. But nevertheless, my mother is more generous in the last -ber month that my wishes, or at least many of them, may be granted. Then of course, there's Christmas shopping for both foods and clothes. And for gifts to those who expect (because usually, we only buy for those we think would appreciate ripping off wrappers).

But what I really feel so light about all these is the fact that more people are inclined to smile and sing along with Christmas carols. I love the sounds of Christmas songs especially when my father sings along with them. Two more weeks and Christmas lights would be put up in different houses. All of these happy acts lead to happy smiles. And eventually, walking out on the streets is more bearable when people smile at you for no reason. Add to that a backdrop of many blinking lights, it's perfect.

I also look forward to our own Christmas tree. We put it up at home, along with other decors, as soon as Christmas vacation starts. We have this set of Christmas lights shaped as apples that have been in the family for around ten years now. And then we have a wreath, which my mother hangs on the front door. Of course we have a belen, or the scene of the Nativity. Ours is a simple collection, with a small hut housing dolls of the family--Joseph, Mary, and Jesus--with the angel and the sheep.

We also have statues of Saint Nicholas--a.k.a. Santa Claus. But my favorite is a snow globe that plays Christmas tunes while the snow flakes swirl around the figurine Santa flanked with a bag of gifts. I get to watch that at night, in those moments when the TV is off and the only light in the living room comes from the red glow of the apple-shaped Christmas lights. It's a very peaceful moment.

[Okay, I'll be posting pictures of them as soon as they're up, I promise.]

Whee. Just thinking about all of it, how our house will transform into a festive place, how our family will be together for every day even in a short span of two weeks, makes me smile.

Well, the wait is down to 31 days from now. It's nearing Christmas, people. Sniff around, let the air fill your lungs and heart. Oh, and if you ever happen to be out at night, do walk to your destination (if it's short a distance).

And relish in the lightness of the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment