1.28.2012

Catch up: We serve only what we eat

Yeah, from this point on, what you would be seeing is a backlog post. (Whutizuberlateright?)

Anyway, I was just going through some of the photos in my phone and I came across the foods we served for the two New Year's celebrations we had at home. It's kind of striking how different they were, which I thought were of course due to the contrast of the cultures they represent.

This is the Pinoy New Year group:

(Forgive the stray barbecue sticks, we were already hungry at the time.)

The Pinoy New Year group consisted of mostly kakanin and sweets. I'm quite not sure about the sweets (maybe we just loved the leche flan and refrigerator-slash-Graham cake in the blue-covered container) but the kakanin like the biko and the ube are for family togetherness. The all-time favorite spaghetti that they said were for long life was also included.

We also had the traditional ham (yes all sliced for eating already) and barbecue, which is my dad's specialty.


A new addition to the Pinoy group was the egg pie. I didn't really get what my mom said the pie was for but if I remembered well, she said because we had to serve a round pastry (weird because we had custard cake already).

(Yes, my brother did not even bother to put this on a decent plate. Tsk, tsk)

Of course, to balance out all the sweets and fats we consumed, we also had fruits. Haha. There were 13 of them, my mom said, for luck. My mother could be weird sometimes.


Well, however weird I found the foods we had for 2012's New Year celebration, I still enjoyed them. My sweet tooth was happy so was my sleepless eyes.

(No photo of me. I was already in my pajamas that night. Yeah, I celebrated New Year's wearing pajamas. Ninja lang as I wanted to sleep right after I digested the sumptuous feast my stomach had.)

Chinese New Year, on the other hand, was a bit more subdued. We did not observe any other traditions our chinito friends had. But all the same, we served quite a few of their prescribed munchies. This is because my mother and I both make a living out of Chinese-owned companies. Lol.

A fish-shaped tikoy that when cooked . . .

Looked pretty much just like any other tikoy. Haha!

We also had fruits, although lesser than what we served during the Pinoy New Year celebration. For this one, we only had kiat-kiat (I hope I spelled this right; they are small versions of ponkan) and three apples. Ask my mother why.

So there. These were really different food groups bound by completely different cultures. I couldn't say which was better for my taste buds because I did enjoy both.

I hope you had the same pretty nice New Year's! And remember, serve only what you could eat. The table, after all, is not for display-only-foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment