7.29.2010

Coming Full Circle Because I Want to Run Away from Ledgers

You've got to be kidding.

Was what I thought when Angge told me and Paula of a supposed "hardcore accounting" part of our app exam yesterday. Because I actually counted on a little bit of exaggeration--you know, we being OrCom students and therefore with a habit of equating simple numbers with life's hardships.

But it was not an exaggeration. It. Was. Not. An. Exaggeration.


Which was why after everything, it did not matter that Paula and I did not make it to the cut-off number of examinees for the 10am sched. It did not matter that we had to let pass more than two hours at a fastfood. It did not matter that we were half-woozy with traffic stress and half-excited for the coming application. Because it all got lost soon as we took the last part of the exam.

At first, the test was fine: essay (How would you be an asset to Company B? 10 sentences limit within 5 minutes) and psychological (I think, given there were shapes of some sort and patterns) parts that were common, at least as those I'd already taken.

And then came Part III.

First question: Definition of Accounting (by AICPA). And I had never in my entire life ever heard of the acronym AICPA.

The remaining parts came with choices-based types of exams: Multiple Choice, Matching Type, Sequencing, you get the picture. But the choices were mainly composed of words I knew only by terminology (which, by the way, I did only when I was a senior high school student). Contra Asset Liabilities, Contingent Liabilities, Debit, Credit, Investments, Journal, Ledger, Balance Sheets, Bank Statements, Stock, Stale Check, and Owner's Equity among others.

For the love of all that's holy, panicky, and brain-exhausting:
IDIDNOTKNOWWHATWERETHESEWORDSSUPPOSEDTOMEAN.

Like hello, the only time I saw these words in print were in my high school textbook that I did not even bother to open for long periods of time. And the only times I transact with bank people were when I had to pay for our house's monthly amortization and other bills. Occasionally there were a few checks, but I only had to cash them in. But what the hell I knew of their roles in businesses.

Suffice to say that I did not expect coming anywhere near the passing rate. But what I did know was: I am never applying for a position in a bank (and any company financial in nature) EVER AGAIN. But fine, I got an interview schedule for later today and I decided I would go.

If only because this would be the last of my job-hunting spree. Yes. I got word from where I started and they were asking if I wanted to come back. I guessed I could. I think I can.

So after today, if I don't get through, I'm coming full circle.

3 comments:

  1. Yeyeyeyeyeyey :D

    *hahaha okay di ko gets ung comment ko. but yey for you :) i hope you work around ayala para we can finally catch up at di lang sa blogs. although i do enjoy reading your blog. hihi.*

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I thought you were saying yey over the accounting exam. Haha. I hope I work, anywhere. I can do Ayala, if that's really what's in it for me--albeit the over-crowd and long walks.

    I do enjoy yours, too, as it's a sunshine in comparison to my rant-full one. Hahaha. :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. re: your question about the diploma, no payments whatsoever. just bring your id. they'll also be returning your copy of your clearance :)

    ReplyDelete