8.02.2010

The Meet-up You Dread After Letting Go

If you have ever read Meg Cabot's Princess Diaries Series, you are surely aware of the Michael Moscovitz-Mia Thermopolis love story. And by aware, I mean you know how Michael is actually Mia's bestfriend Lilly's brother. How they have real difference in terms of age and, thus, maturity. How they have broken up before and got back together during Mia's senior (and last) year in high school.

I'm not gonna make a review off that, though. Surely, or I would be posting this on Angled Vista instead. Plus: I can't, mainly because I haven't read half of Forever Princess (PD Vol. X). And because I haven't read PD's VII-IX as well as the half ones.

Instead, I am going to write about . . . seeing your ex for the first time after you've broken up two years ago. Well, exes that matter, of course. Those you really have cried over for months (and possibly, years).

Okay, am I really? Going to write about that, I mean. Yes, I'm afraid so. Not talk like how-to-act-when-it-happens, nor like what-you-ought-to-feel. Just . . . thoughts. Free and flowing. I would very much like to laugh off that part of FP more than admit that it has touched a nerve. Seriously. Yet, as I've pretty much implied, I cannot.

I just feel that this meeting-your-ex-after-a-long-time depends on two things: your moving on status and of course, your past together.

YOUR MOVING ON STATUS

Are you ready? As in ready-it-won't-matter-anymore? Or ready-but-I'm-sure-I'll-flinch-just-the-same? And what would that mean to him/her? Like you haven't moved on, perhaps, after all these years. Either that, or you've moved on to the point of being apathetic where he/she is concerned.

Nevertheless, I've always thought that meeting exes again, whether or not the act's intentional (as in something both of you have actually planned), has to be a day when you are totally, completely, 100% sure of yourself. It would not matter if you're sure you're gonna be fine or you're sure you'd pass out on him/her. Rather, it's if you're sure that at the very least you would be very much in touch of yourself.

Because regardless of your explicitness, how you act would be very much representative of your moving on status.

And regardless of your moving on status, you have to be honest--with yourself and with him/her.

That, I feel would make the meeting easier, no matter what you say.

YOUR PAST TOGETHER


So you think you should "let bygones be bygones"? And that digging up the past is totally a no-no? Well, I feel differently. This is, after all, an ex we are talking about. Someone you have, at some beautiful point in your life, loved. Someone you have even thought of spending your life with forever.

Cheesy, I know. But you've got to admit the fact that you have held a "special place in your heart" for that person. And you've had like good memories with him/her. Those that you can be sure you both remember. And those that are worth reminiscing.

Meeting your exes again, for me, shouldn't be all geared at outdoing each other's presents. It's not "hey, I'm now successful" or "I'm with someone else now". Because whatever people think, that would never imply "I have moved on". Seriously.

So what if you'd like to talk about that tree where you've carved your initials together? By all means, go. And you remember just how much you acknowledge having grown wiser after that.

In all the talk about how once you've loved someone so deeply you cannot possibly get over them, I still believe that there would come a point when you would be able to look at that person and know you still love him/her but you won't hurt anymore.

[That's a run-on sentence, I know]

And yes, there would be regret there, somewhere. And some thinking of how life would have been if you're still together. And maybe some pang of jealousy over who's with him/her now.

As long as you're honest with how you feel, you're sure to be fine.



*** But of course, the deal is different with an ALMOST-EX. *shuts eye*

No comments:

Post a Comment