7.17.2010

Likeness and Hilarity

Okay. I write, yes. I'm more of the fiction girl who tells stories of almost-daily occurrences. They are about life, the afterlife, and anything that may constitute a scene. And sometimes I write about relationships, breaking up, and leaving.

But I have yet to think about taking that up a notch higher. Mainly because I don't know if my pieces are any good. Yeah, my friends say they are. But then again, they're my friends.

Which was why, as per Ana's suggestion in her blog, I decided to try I Write Like, a page that sort of analyzes one's writing style and tries to compare it with known authors. It's an interesting "game". And so I copied and pasted posts from my lit blog, Tarradiddles for 5 times.

The results were ridiculous and hilarious.

Here's why: first, my "Running" post was likened to Margaret Mitchell, writer of the ever famous Gone With the Wind. I haven't read her work, thus I've not freaked out enough. She's good, I know, because her novel's a very popular one.

I write like
Margaret Mitchell
I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!

My second try did really made me laugh. Entitled "Two Suitcases Off", it yielded Stephenie Meyer, no other than the author of the world-famous Twilight Saga. I laughed because the result was so absurd. Surely, that's not even close.

I write like
Stephenie Meyer
I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!

Third copy-paste was of the piece "Unused", which gave me Stephen King, a man known for his suspense novels. His are works I've never had the courage to actually read if only because I've seen movies based on his novels. And as much as I don't get scared much of movies, the situation's different with books.


I write like
Stephen King
I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!

My latest post was what I used in my fourth try. "Rainbow's Disappearance" resulted to a supposed similarity with David Foster Wallace, writer of Infinite Jest. I've also never read him, by the way.


I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!

Now, I didn't know what made me try a-fifth. I guessed I just got the hang of it. I actually intended to copy-paste all of my pieces (from that blog, at least) if not for this: A Perfect Time to Let Go got me likened to:


I write like
J. K. Rowling
I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!

That had me freak out, totally. Yes, I adore the woman. And yes, how much I wish to write just like she does. But, hey, JK Rowling? The JK Rowling? The woman who's brought the world down with her Harry Potter series? The writer with such prodigious skills she's had us all wish for a letter from Hogwarts?


No. Seriously. No.


I tried copy-pasting again and again. The result was just the same. If you can help me out, do visit I Write Like and my fateful post. And then please do copy-paste. Maybe a change in IP address would make the result differ.


Woot. As to all of these results, I can only say:

Thank you. But no, you can't be true. But thanks for making me LOL so much, 'kay?

4 comments:

  1. Ooooh I got JK too! I remember the talks we had before, wherein we refuse to own Harry Potter books which are not British editions. Haha btw, I miss you. :) linking you, if you don't mind. - Tiff :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tiff! Linked you, too. :) And IMY <3

    Good for you to get JK as well. But that doesn't erase my being baffled over me getting her. HAHA. Whee, British eds! Super, but I still lack 3 books. :| I shall search for them if it takes my entire life (and future sweldo). LOL. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww I envy you, you write like Stephen King my love??? :| Haha. I tried this and it said I write like William Shakespeare. LOL

    Anyway, Ryo, I just commented here because OMYGOSHYOUAREMYIDOOOOOL!!! I've browsed your other blogs and I am ashamed of how cluttered and random my blog looks like. HAHAAHA Waaah I am so impressed with your blogs, and most esp your way of writing. Sooo talented you are! Need I say more? Haha. Thanks for linking my blog here. I expect tons of views then! Thanks so much and miss you so, Ryo! :) Keep blogging, long live! :)

    Might wanna read a Tagalog poem I wrote entitled "Binuo mo ako."

    http://longlivejudyism.wordpress.com/2010/08/03/binuo-mo-ako/

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are superbly sweet, Judy. Haha. Thank you so much for reading and for, apparently, liking what I write.

    And I loved your poem! Seriously, I never can write something like that.

    I miss you as much, :)

    ReplyDelete