9.10.2010

I dare

People always say I'm brave. Sometimes, they wonder how I ever manage to have huge amounts of the stuff within my small-framed physique. Other times, I wonder if they're ever right.

And then comes a definite test of bravery for me. In the form of my sweet-faced but nevertheless strict and superbly silently-vicious superior. I still remember clearly how I've landed into my current project, which she heads.

I was just there at our table, brainstorming my way into yet another project (maybe, although . . .), when I was called by my immediate supervisor for a whole different meeting. A turnover meeting, from my co-PC to me.

To cut a possibly ranting half-post short, I unwillingly displaced and replaced my co-PC. Thus started my dealings with my sweet-faced superior.

And man, is she ever testing. Almost, I find myself waiting for the last day of that project and praying that nothing unwanted happens. And always, I glimpse at my phone hoping against hope for her to be so busy she won't remember calling me for updates.

But then my fighter-self starts to kick in. Hey there, little kid. Sure you're of lower standing, but you're not to-shout-at material, right?

Hell, yes.

By which, I mean that I know when I do something wrong and I'm more than willing to apologize for it. But I also know when I don't do something wrong and I'm not at all willing to be shouted at for it.

By which, I further mean: I am not going to let myself be bullied into subordination. I won't let myself siphon in, whether or not intentionally, all pressures and stresses that I don't deserve.

I am going to fight my way into this field. I've done this before, and I'll do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment