2.07.2011

Sit back, relax, jump

There are two things I can say I'm good at: showing a poker face and disregarding sequences.

Today is my uncle's birthday. He's my father's oldest brother and he lives in a house that's directly across ours. He has a wife. And he has a son. Now, those two, they don't belong in the same family. My uncle's son is by his first girlfriend.

And they're both coming tonight for a birthday dinner. By "they" I mean the son and the first girlfriend. Which must mean that the dinner is going to be one hell of an awkward affair. Now my family isn't the type that discourages such truths as out-of-marriage children, nor do we deny it. We're very open with each other.

But that also doesn't mean we have to keep opening up and encouraging such truths. Because they're awkward, above anything else.

Thankfully, I am good at doing poker faces.

I am currently watching the fourth season of Grey's Anatomy (by now, you must know I'm getting addicted to it). But I'm not yet done watching the latter half of Season 2 and I haven't even seen an episode of Season 3.

When I was younger, like fifth grade younger, I became a fan of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, the third book in the series. That was two years before I got to read Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, which happens to be the first book.

Doing my college thesis, I started with an instrument first. That's the survey I needed to make my research happen. I had located and tested one already before I got my introductory and background chapters together. Ideally, that was not the way it was supposed to be.

Right now, I am a housewife without a husband and a child. Well, I'm not a housewife, I'm a house-person. I cook, clean, and be a house-person. I'm doing that before I've even become a career woman.

And most days, I am a mother (sort of) before I become my parents' daughter.

I hate sequences, you can say that. I hate the fact that there is an accepted and agreed upon order of how things should be done. I hate the fact that you have to eat your meal first before you drink lots of water. And I hate that you have to wait for one thing to happen first before you get on with your life.

I'm not sure what happens when you mix up these two abilities of mine. I mean, when you let making a poker face and hating sequences go together.

All I know is that they both get me through every day. Like I can hold in my emotions and watch as one step fades into another.

Or I can hold in my emotions and jump from one step to another whatever the world thinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment