2.06.2011

A stray thought: It's not good enough

He said, "You were like coming up for fresh air. It's like I was drowning and you saved me. It's all I know."
She said, "It's not good enough."

Sometimes I wonder what's good enough for other people. Or what they mean when they say that. Is it simply to say that they believe there is something better underneath what they see? Or do they think they are worth more than what they're being given?

I have used that line more than once before. It's not good enough. But until now, when I look back to those times I've said that, I can't say for certain what I meant. I have heard them used for me, too, and the meaning was never clear. Maybe there really is something more, something worthier, something that makes believing so much easier. Whatever that is, though, I can only wonder if it's reachable.

I visited my friend last Saturday, after so much haggling and delaying. And it was nice, seeing what I expected to see and feeling what I expected to feel. Or maybe I expected more, but what I saw was enough to stop me from worrying. It wasn't good enough, but it was enough for now.

If you are thinking of forgiveness, which reasons are good enough?

Consider a man whose wife cheated on him. And yet only after a few months, he had apparently forgiven her because they're still together. She's there at their house, acting the part of wife, almost without a trace of what happened before. Every time you see them together, you wonder how he got to forgive her so easily. Or if he really had, like a hundred percent. Maybe so. Maybe not. What were his reasons? Were those reasons good enough?

Or in that case at the opening paragraphs. What reason is good enough for loving a person? What would be the best answer when someone asks you why you love them? Isn't that supposed to be subjective, if not at all inexistent?

Frankly, I have no idea where I'm going on with this. It just makes me wonder--with no cause and no destination, apparently. But if there is even one small chance that I could find meaning if and when I start searching, I guess I will.

So that the next time I hear and use those words, I would know. That where reasons are concerned, they're good enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment