1.14.2012

Well, ma'am, you made me realize I seriously need a new job

People close to me know very well how much I've had reservations over accepting my current job when it was offered to me a year ago. Yes, it's been a year and until now I haven't realized the exact reason I had for accepting that fateful job offer. It was not exactly blindingly generous nor was it in a field I am most skilled at. In fact, everything was contrary to what I knew were my standards before.

And just yesterday, I kind of had an epiphany: I seriously don't know anymore what the heck I'm still doing employed in this kind of work. Yesterday, I was trying to make two poles of one planet meet. I cannot say in detail what has happened, for obvious and unfortunate reasons. But I'd like to say something about how I feel right now.

Look, I know I'm not the most patient person in the world. But I'm diplomatic enough (I believe so) and maybe I do have that understanding nature needed for people like me to be able to carry out tasks well enough. I don't ask that you say yes to everything I tell you. I know you'd put up resistance because you have several ideas on what should be given to you. Sometimes, I even expect that kind of resistance and even more.

What I'm asking for is just a little consideration from you, the same that you very well demand from me. If I were to choose, I'd just give you what you want. But I cannot, I'm just as bound by our rules as you are.

Let's just work together for an easier life, shall we? You can keep on blaming me for the very fact that I help implement rules that you think are inconsiderate to the point of being inhumane. But I need you to work with me because this is your investment we're discussing here and you cannot expect me to just hand it to you like candies from a store.

I'm sorry we're not as considerate. I'm sorry we have strict rules. I'm sorry we don't always get to keep our promises. And I'm sorry that I am at this side.

Sure, you can hate me. But try to think about how you would feel if you are on my shoes. Maybe you'd see how you have been demanding Mars from me and how I'm so sorry I can't even give you the moon.

No comments:

Post a Comment